Somatic Meditation 01: Darkness as Medicine (AUDIO)
DESCRIPTION: The first in a series of guided somatic meditations recorded in natural environments.
This one is an exploration of darkness as a healing tool. Deeply restful and nourishing.
Recorded whilst sitting alone in a forest in Koh Muk, Thailand as the dawn breaks. Rustling leaves, bird song and a couple of shuffling sounds as I brush off intrepid mosquitos.
LENGTH: 20 minutes.
• Quietening the nervous system
• Quietening the mind
• Relaxing and nourishing the eyes and the visual cortex.
• Preparing for sleep.
• The end of the day
• A quiet room that you can make dark.
• A comfortable floor you can lay on / yoga matt
• Lay on your back in semi-supine or flat.
• A cushion for under your knees if laying flat.
• Warm comfy clothes (you will be still for 20 minutes)
• A good sound system or headphones.
• Eye mask if you want to ensure darkness.
The Bates Method. The Feldenkrais Method. The Brain's Way of Healing, by Norman Doidge. The Spell of The Sensuous, by David Abram
Image courtesy of Unsplash by @brett_ritchie_photography